Gavko knives are a thing of beauty, as is this new Thresher collaboration with Massdrop. Michal Gavac got together with WE Knives and Massdrop to make this exclusive knife. Limited at 1200 serialized units this drop has been selling well at over 500 units sold so far. The drop only has 7 days left.
The Thresher features a titanium body with hardened steel frame lock design. The knife is 8″ overall with a 3.6″ blade. The blade steel is an industry favorite CPM-S35VN. I really dig the top line of the blade design. It’s a clip-point style double-scooped blade that is said to mimic a shark’s tail. You’ll see lots of shark themed styling throughout the knife.
For this drop they are offering several different handle designs, the Common, Big Eye, and Pelagic. The knife is also available in several different colors, Aqua, Sand, and Sharkskin. I’m really enamored with the Aqua. If you’re a lefty, you’re in luck. They are offering a left version as well.
The deployment is via thumb studs for a bit more of a traditional approach. I read on Instagram that Michal did this because he felt the flipper trend was a bit too over done recently. The deployment should be smooth and swift as a shark thanks to the ceramic bearings employed in the pivot.
Massdrop x Gavko Thresher Titanium Frame Lock Knife Specs
- Designed by Michal Gavac
- Produced by Massdrop
- Manufactured by WE Knife
- Country of origin: China
- Blade steel: CPM-S35VN stainless steel
- Blade profile: Clip-point (Bowie style)
- Blade grind: Flat saber
- Blade finish: Satin (Aqua & Sand) or Stonewashed (Sharkskin)
- Handle material: 6AL4V titanium
- Handle finish: Anodized (Aqua & Sand) and stonewashed (all)
- Open: Thumb stud (dual), PVD-coated
- Lock: Frame lock
- Hardened steel lockbar insert with over-travel stop tab and ceramic detent ball
- Sculpted titanium backspacer
- Caged ceramic bearing system
- Milled titanium pocket clip, tip-up carry (not reversible)
- Anodized / stonewashed titanium fasteners
- Hardened steel stop pin and pivot barrel
- Blade thickness (spine): 0.16 in (4 mm)
- Blade thickness (at 1 mm behind apex): +/- 0.02 in (0.5 mm)
- Handle width: 0.5 in (12.6 cm)
- Blade length: 3.6 in (9.1 cm)
- Handle length: 4.5 in (11.5 cm)
- Overall length: 8 in (20.3 cm)
- Weight, Common: 5.1 oz (144 g)
- Weight, Big Eye: 4.9 oz (139 g)
- Weight, Pelagic: 4.7 oz (133 g)
- Zipper pouch
- Microfiber cloth
- Warranty: WE Knives lifetime materials and workmanship guarantee via Massdrop
All orders will be shipped by Massdrop.
Estimated ship date is Dec 14, 2018 PT.